Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Too hard on myself, and then there is protein...

I'm looking at maybe I am being a bit hard on myself. I have lost almost 25 lbs in 21 days, and I definitely have lost inches. Maybe I am expecting too much. I mean, I am not meant to lose all of it in a month or two. I guess I just need to keep doing what I am doing.

Liquids: NEED MORE! I know I need to drink more. That is a given. Maybe in addition to my regular liquids I need to add a flavored beverage and/or an additional protein drink.

Proteins: I also need to eat more. This means lots more protein through out the day. Meats, cottage cheese, fish, Greek yogurt is a big one. I came across this website that lists the top 40 most protein packed foods from all food departments (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-list-40-high-protein-foods.html)

SKIP DOWN IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT LIST

Here is there list:

High Protein Dairy:
1.Greek Yogurt: 23g/8oz serving  (Plain is best for least amount of sugar)
2.Cottage Cheese: 14g/0.5 cup serving (they call it the MVP of snacks but can be high in sodium)
3.Swiss Cheese: 8g/1oz serving
4.Eggs: 6g/1 egg
5. Milk, 2%: 8g/1 cup serving
6. Soy Milk: 8g/1 cup serving

Meats:
7. Steak (top or bottom round): 23g/3oz serving
8. Ground Beef (95%  lean): 18g/3oz serving
9. Pork Chops (boneless): 26g/3oz serving
10. Chicken Breast (boneless and skinless): 24g/3oz serving
11. Turkey Breast: 24g/3oz serving

Seafood:
12.Yellowfin Tuna: 25g/3oz serving
13. Halibut: 23g/3oz serving
14. Octopus: 25g/3oz serving
15. Sockeye Salmon: 23g/3oz serving
16. Tilapia: 21g/3oz serving

Canned/Bagged Foods:
17. Anchovies: 24g/3oz serving (To reduce saltiness, soak in water for 30 mins, rinse and pat dry)
18. Corned Beef: 24g/3oz serving
19. Light Tuna: 22g/3oz serving (Go for packed in water instead of oil for lower fat)
20. Chicken: 21g/3oz serving
21. Sardines: 21g/3oz serving  (Apparently Wild Planet brand is the best tasting)
22. Navy Beans: 20g/1 cup serving (These are a small, white, kidney bean type of bean. Apparently
one of the cheapest canned beans to get)
23. Dried Lentils: 13g/0.25 cup serving

Deli:
24. Roast Beef: 18g/3oz serving
25. Canadian Bacon: 15g/3oz serving
26. Chorizo: 21g/3oz serving
27. Pepperoni: 18g/3oz serving (Compare brands as this can be high in sodium)
28. Roast Turkey Beef: 18g/3oz serving (Don't get flavored or seasoned as this will add sodium or       sugars you don't need)

Snacks:
29. Jerky: 13g/3oz serving (Brands such as Krave are MSG and nitrate free)
30. Peanut Butter: 8g/2tsbp
31. Mixed Nuts: 6g/2oz serving (Get unsalted)
32. Bean Chips: 4g/1oz serving (These are used in place of corn chips like Tostitos)

Produce:
33. Smoothie Drinks: 16g/1 cup serving (Make sure these contain some source of protein and NOT   just fruits because these will just send you into sugar overload)
34. Tofu: 12g/3oz serving

Frozen Foods:
35. Edamame: 8g/0.5 cup serving
36. Green Peas:7g/1 cup serving
37. Frozen Greek Yogurt: 6g/0.5 cup serving (Once again, compare brands for less sugar)

Grains:
38. Wheat Germ: 6g/1oz serving
39. Soba Noodles: 12g/3oz serving
40. Quinoa: 8oz/1 cup serving

WOW! Who knew all lose were good sources of proteins. Definitely not me. I learned some things just putting this list together.

Another great site to check out is ChooseMyPlate.gov for a list of great proteins. (http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/protein-foods.html)

I also found a great site that actually gave snack ideas that were great sources for protein like Nut Butter Boats or Deli Roll ups. I actually will probably make a few of these for tomorrow at work since I know I will need to find something to eat. (http://greatist.com/health/high-protein-snacks-portable)

Maybe tomorrow I will go over good sources of fluids....Hmm there is food for thought lol.

Well, I do have to say that I feel a bit better after writing this. That is the point of this blog other than education of course. Hopefully it has helped some of you who are trying to find other good sources of proteins to help fill your day.

Til Next Time!



No comments:

Post a Comment