Monday, July 6, 2015

New relationship with food....

As of today, it has been 9 weeks since my surgery and I have lost about 32.2 lbs.

I had my last doctor visit last Thursday and was told I need to have a new relationship with food.

(Photo borrowed from Valero Doval)

I am trying. But here is the crazy part. My big worry was that I seem to be still hungry between meals. I was told at first my by nutritionist to NOT eat between the three daily meals. It's soooo hard not to when your hungry yet I don't want to go against what I have been told. So I asked my doctor about it. He said, "If you are hungry, eat. I eat a ton of food. You just have to make sure you are eating the right things. You need to change your relationship with food."  In other words, make sure that IF you are going to eat or drink between meals that it is protein first, then veggies, then fibers. This will not only help get the daily protein in, but apparently food is NOT our enemy. We really all do think of food in the wrong way. We need to not be scared to eat. Just make sure we are eating the right things.

I also asked him about anti-GERD meds like omeprazole and helping the hunger feeling. He said that will also help since some times when we think we are hungry that it is really the acid in our stomachs. He said to take omeprazole twice a day and this should also help with the hunger. I have only been taking it for a few days this way and do notice a bit of a difference.

So there ya have it folks. We need to re-think our ideas on eating and food. Food is not bad, it's WHAT we eat that makes or breaks our weight. Hope this has been insightful.

If you have any topics you would like to see covered in this blog, drop me a line in the comments and I will see what I can do.

Til Next Time!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, it's Divina. I wrote a whole post and it disappeared! Dang it! Good post. What your doc says makes sense. I don't necessarily feel hungry the same way. Maybe it's acid! Although I don't have heartburn. I usually only feel that way in the morning. I also feel really lightheaded if I wait too long to eat.

    ReplyDelete